Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

23 years ago on Thanksgiving Day, November 24 my dad died from cancer.  Not a day goes by where I don't think about him.  And obviously not a Thanksgiving day goes by where I don't remember the happenings of Thanksgiving day, 1988.  I know my dad is up there watching down on me and my family.  Death has a tendency to tear people apart or bring them closer together- thank goodness it brought my family closer together.  My mom, my sister, my brother and I have an amazing relationship.  We have been through the hard times and yes there are more hard times, but together we have stayed strong and faithful.  

A lot of the emotions I have felt lately are reminiscent of what I felt after my dad died- pissed, angry, why me, it's not fair, etc... the list could go on forever.  I still feel those emotions from my dad's death but they have lessened over the years.  I know the same holds true for my current situation- they don't go away but they definitely will get easier.

Now I need to wipe my tears and rejoice for what I have in my life!  Thanks for my family- Rob, Madison and my chocolate girls; my mom, my sister and her family, my brother and his family, Vance, my aunts, uncles, cousins around the country and in Canada too!  I love each and everyone of you.

And then to my friends... I am blessed to have each and everyone of you in my life.  You are all too numerous to mention but know that I appreciate you and your friendship and everything you have done for me over the past 60 days.  You truly are awesome!

And I am thankful for my health...things could be a lot worse for me than they are.  Yes, it still isn't easy but it could be worse.  I also need to be thankful for all the doctors, nurses and medical procedures that I have been through lately.   Their jobs are hard and I admire them for what they do.

I feel like I could go on forever today but then I'd miss the turkey, mashed potatoes and of course, the wine!  Count your blessings this holiday season.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Love, 
Stephanie



2 comments:

jenniegirl73 said...

Stephi-baby,
You bring tears to my eyes and I wish I could be there to give you hugs and hold your hand. We love you and keep you in our prayers. I think your dad is watching over you too. Xoxo Jennie and family

sstarliper said...

Steph: sorry about your Dad's passing. Mary's Mom passed on my b-day 20 years ago, so a similar situation. Your chocolate girls and our black babies remind us of what's important & the love of each other our Creator.