Friday, October 21, 2011


I have been wrestling this week with some deep inner demons – fear and rage. I didn’t even really realize how to articulate those feelings until I was at the gym this morning. On my way out the door of the gym (and completely out of nowhere), a friend I had not personally seen in a while brought me back to reality with a simple offer of support – he specifically offered to help with Sundae and Maple.

I really want to personally say THANKS for the overwhelming outpouring of support offered by everyone (even people I don’t know). You are all amazing people. As a family, we are so blessed to have you in our lives. Somehow words just don’t seem to be enough . . . more on that in a minute.

As for the inner demons, fear might always be there in one form or another. But, as I have been observing over the past few weeks, the sun amazingly comes up every morning, the dogs unabashedly wag their tails at every opportunity, the CSU Rams . . . (well maybe I shouldn’t mention them after last weekend’s massacre), but College Gameday comes on every Saturday in the fall, etc.

As for rage – it’s just a phase. We begin taking more control of the fight this coming week now that Stephanie's surgery is scheduled. The next steps on this path will be illuminated soon. At a dinner last Friday evening a friend offered a toast early on – “To kicking cancer’s ASS!!!” Amen sister.

That reminds me, when all is said on done, there will be one helluva party, and you’re all invited. We are going to change that toast to the past tense. I truly pray that one day, there is a huge party where that declaration is not just for Stephanie.

Again, thank you for everything.

2 comments:

sstarliper said...

Rob/Steph: We see Christ's Spirit & Christ in each other and the warmth that our faith generates. Our prayers and support will be with Steph this Wednesday. Our Creator's love, majesty and mercy will prevail as always.

Lisa said...

Fear and Rage and Anger are wonderful companions right now. I'd be worried if you didn't have them with you! Just know that having these new "friends" is a "okay" thing. Take advantage of them... Let your anger out! I have to believe that God can take it because God's been the brunt of much anger for as long as humanity has existed. (2/3's of the Psalms are of lament...!) Thank goodness we have a God who lets us be angry towards them!