Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Life's Journey... a Bump in the Road


On September 30, 2011 our lives changed; we found out that I (Stephanie) has breast cancer.  In a routine ob/gyn appointment, my doctor found a lump, which she thought, was just a fibrous cyst.  To be safe, she sent me for a mammogram.  I was able to get in the next day.  Thankfully this wasn’t my first mammogram as I had one in March 2010 as a baseline.  After the mammogram they said they needed more information and I immediately had an ultrasound.  The ultrasound technician was checking my chest and then moved to my armpit.  At that point, I was getting nervous and scared, as I knew exactly what they were looking for.  The radiologist then told me they found another spot and just to be safe they wanted to do a biopsy.  In the preliminary check of lymph nodes, they appeared clean.

The following Thursday, I went in for a biopsy.  This was an impatient surgery and was done fairly quickly.  They biopsied both spots and removed most of the spots.  At this time, they still weren’t convinced that it was anything other than fibrous tissues/cysts.  So I went home with my boobs bound as a big uni-boob.  It was totally uncomfortable and it hurt, especially to sleep. 

The next morning I received a phone call and the minute I heard the radiologists voice, I knew what that meant.  One lump was just fibrous tissues, but the second was a mucinous carcinoma.  My neighbor was here when I got the news.  While I started asking questions, she started to Google.  This is suppose to be a less aggressive form of cancer.  Usually it is found in older, post menopausal women.  After getting off the phone with the doctor, it took a bit of time to sink in.  Rob got home shortly afterwards and I gave him the low down.  His first question was, “what’s the mortality rate”?  I think I heard him but wasn’t sure that is what he had said!  For those of you who know Rob, it’s totally his lawyerly way to say things.

We then left the house and went to tell my mom.  After breaking the news, I needed a margarita so we went to the Rio.  I love the Rio, in good times and bad times, the Rio is a great place to go!  After consuming several margaritas and eating some chips and salsa, it was time to pick Madison up from school (Rob was driving).  We told Madison that evening giving her information but not more than needed.  She followed up that evening by asking some really hard questions, you don’t want your 8 year old child asking you.

On Monday, Oct. 3, I went in for an MRI.  The MRI came back with no new cancer detected and still no apparent lymph node involvement.  On Friday, we met with a surgeon and an oncologist.  Surgery is in my future.  After some more tests, we’ll decide what kind.  Follow-up treatment also depends on what type of surgery, what they do or don’t find in the lymph nodes and also the oncotype dx score of the tumor itself.

So far, the tests are coming back good, as good as they can be for cancer.  This upcoming week we have several appointments with hopes of obtaining additional information.  We are gathering all the information necessary to make the right decision for us.  Keep in mind, this comes from Rob and Stephanie, the one’s who interviewed a veterinarian before we brought Sundae home almost 13 years ago.  Rob and I are both feeling very positive and feel that we are in good hands with the doctors we have seen.  Obviously there is still some unknown but we keep getting more information and should be close to a decision as to how to get this crap out of me.  I want it out.

Thank the Lord we have our faith.  I know God tests us and only gives us what we can handle.  Of course I am asking Him, why, why, why He thinks we can handle so much.  Dealing with cancer once in my life is certainly enough not to mention a second time- most 15 year old kids don’t have see their dad die of cancer.  It sucks!! And of course with this month being breast cancer awareness, it is everywhere!  Along with the “why” is my being mad.  I am so mad, I could just spit or throw the iPad, which I almost did the other day because it wasn’t working.  I know this is just a bump in the road but it still doesn’t make it any easier.  Again thank the Lord for my faith.  Really, I know I couldn’t handle this without it.  Also, thank the Lord for my family… my wonderful, awesome husband, my beautiful child and my 2 brown dogs; my mom, my sister and her family, my brother and his family, my aunts, uncles, cousins and other relatives.  And finally, our friends.  I am utterly overwhelmed by the love and grace of all our friends.  We will not be able to make it through this journey without those 3 things: faith, family and friends.

So what’s next… more doctors appointments, more test results.  This week we have 4 appointments scheduled.  We then need to decide what we want to do. 
What can you do?  First, we ask everyone for prayers, not just for me, but for Rob, Madison and the rest of my family.  Plus I ask you to pray for others who have been affected by this disease.  Second, take care of yourself.  Friends, I know most of you are over 35, go to the doctor and get a mammogram.   After you turn 40 you get one every year but some doctors want to get a baseline beforehand.  In most cases, insurance will pay for it.  Early detection is best.

We are going to try using this blog as an efficient means of communication. While I love talking on the phone, I know it isn’t practical to answer or return all calls.  The same probably goes for emails.  Most of you know that my iPhone travels with me and I have access most of the time.  I love getting emails and will honestly do my best to answer them.  However, please don’t be offended if we don’t respond directly.  We will do our best to update this blog as we get more information and make decisions. 

We cannot thank you enough for all your love and support thus far.  I am a lucky gal!  We are a lucky family.  We love each and every one of you and we will get through this.
In His name,

P.S.  Check out the subscribe link to receive auto updates when we update this blog.

2 comments:

Artemisa said...

Steph I love you. Thank you for sharing your story and for being so honest. I pray for you, Rob & Madison as this will be a tough road but you will get through this. Sending Hugs & Kisses from Cali!
Love you my dear friend! *Artemisa

Staci said...

Stephanie, Rob & Madison,
You are and will remain in our prayers and thoughts everyday. God gives us strength when we are weak and holds us up when we start to fall. He will see you through this with Grace and love. We are here for you if you need anything!!! Staci & Alan